Monday, November 16, 2009

Joe Rosenthal


So this is the one he is most known for, from Iwo Jima. This is cropped a little, which I'm not really happy about because I wanted/ like the original one. But its better than the ones that are cropped a ton, I think. This is an amazing photo that Slade says some people think helped change the war. That is amazing from one photograph.

I like this because its like an overview of the destruction. I don't know, its all dark without any pure white, and I like that in war images.

I love that he captured this image. They have the flag and are happy about it, but then the guy still has to stand watch with his gun. This shows how that always have to be attentive 24/7.

This image in just interesting to me. There are so many things to look at, even though at the time it probably didn't seem like much was going on. There isn't actually a lot of action, there is just so many different places in focus here, which sometimes I love and sometimes I hate. I love it here.

Celebration!!! Finally! I like that the flag is almost all the way out and flat.

Did you know Slade met this guy before he died? Eddie Adams (a photographer I really like, and the best printer) introduced them because he was friends with both of them. That is cool Slade. And he said Joe was pretty cool, so thats good. We were talking about him the day before Veterans Day and watched an interview so I thought I should blog a little about him, and show other photographs he's taken.

No comments: