Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Walker Evans' Portraits




So since we just finished the portrait assignment I thought I would post some portraits by Walker Evans. He is one of my favorite famous photographers. I like the one on top because its close like we've been working on. The girl looks tough and like she works hard but then there seems to be a little smirk on her face. I like that because it seems like she can still have fun and enjoys like even though she might be poor and have to work all the time. It seems like she doesn't need anybody. She is self-sufficient. I like the second one too. Even though its farther away it still gives you a story. It shows you that they live in a log cabin type thing and have a rocking chair. I really like how it shows this and they aren't ashamed at all of where they live. They belong there and love it. I like the last one because even though its far away again it still shows you a lot about them. The whole family seems to really get along and love one another and feel comfortable around the others. Even if they don't give gifts because they are poor, they all still know that they love each other and would do anything for them. They all work together and know each other really well. So I like these pictures. I also think that I like portraits more in black and white. I think they give the person more character and you aren't seduced by color and you can just focus on the person. It makes the shooting and retouching stuff harder because you can't just like it because of the color. The black and white makes the rest of the picture more important.

2 comments:

Slade said...

"The black and white makes the rest more important."

THAT is the quote of the day. Nice blog post. I like Walker Evans too.

Natalie! said...

Thankss. He's the one I wished I could've done for my project last term.